Step by step through the Geopark
Welcome walkers! Welcome to the Villuercas region and the Villuercas-Ibores-Jara Geopark, offering you an area of 2544 hectares of magnificent nature. Whether your visit here is short or long you will not fail to be impressed by the diversity of nature to be seen. Whatever the season, your eyes can feast on a cornucopia of the treasures of geology and nature: flowers, plants, trees, fossils and the craggy mountains and breathtaking valleys which form the spectacular Geopark.
This region has much to offer, not only to specialized birdwatchers, photographers or artists,
but especially to walkers.
Or, for those who just want to sit and enjoy the smells and sights the scenery will fulfil every one of your wishes.
|In this region we offer you walks that each lead through surprisingly landscape, following forest tracks and land roads and avoiding asphalted roads as much as possible. An encounter with a red deer, marter, mongoose or genet is certainly possible. You can join each walk individually or combine several walks into a personal package. If you need accommodation do not hesitate to ask us as we can recommend or book for you a casa rural, hotel or holiday house.|
Walk1: Guided walk through the largest Cork oak wood of Western Europe with a visit to the spectacular rock paintings of Cancho de Reloj. We pass remains of Roman and Moorish settlements. Walk is over forest tracks. To reach the rock paintings we have to follow a steep narrow track.
- Technical characteristics: circular, 9 km, 5 hrs, steep parts demand good physical condition, starting / end point: CC 22.4, km 4, between Berzocana and Solana. Min 2, max 6 Persons.
Walk2: Guided walk partly following the streams of the famous Rio Almonte and the Garganta de Santa Lucia. We cross some bridges of Roman origin and climb through a almost pristine river wood where there are some remains of ancient settlements, to the village of Cabañas del Castillo. Walk following forest tracks. Diehards can climb a little bit higher to the remains of the mediaeval castle of Cabañas.
- Technical characteristics: not circular, 14km, 6 hrs, easy although we overcome a 250 m in height, starting / end point: CC 121, km3, between Retamosa and Roturas. Min 2, max 6 Persons.
Walk3: Guided circular walk through the cultural landscape south of Berzocana, following partially the GR117. Walk starts and ends on the market square of Berzocana and passes through some cultivated areas with wineyards, olive groves, cherry trees, chestnut groves and pastures. We also cross some pine and oak woods. Stunning views over the valleys of Cañamero and Logrosán. Walk leads over wide land roads and forest tracks. In a few parts of the walk we have to follow asphalted but very quiet roads.
- Technical characteristics: circular, 12km, 6 hrs, easy, starting / end point: Plaza de España, Berzocana. Min 2, max 6 Persons.
Walk4a: Guided circular walk from Berzocana to Solana and back, following and old land road between these pueblos and some forest tracks. Walk starts and ends on the market square of Berzocana, follows in the first part the Rio Berzocana and passes through an impressive dehesa of Holm oaks, some pastures and through the largest Cork oak wood of Western Europe. Fantastic views over the valley of the Rio Berzocana. In a few parts of the walk we have to follow asphalted but very quiet roads. Ideal walk to discover the diversity of the Geopark landscapes.
- Technical characteristics: circular, 14km, 6 hrs, easy, starting / end point: Plaza de España, Berzocana. Min 2, max 6 Persons.
Walk4b: is Walk4a continued: from Solana to Cabañas del Castillo. Total walk follows land roads and forest tracks. This nice nature walk starts North of Solana and follows over the first kilometers the Rio Berzocana, passes through an authentic and nearly untouched dehesa of Cork oaks and Holm oaks, in the last part through some pastures. Fantastic views over the valley of the Rio Berzocana and during the whole track we notice the impressive twin rocks of Cabañas. From Cabañas we arrange transport back to the starting point in Solana.
- Technical details: length 12 km, 5 hrs, easy. Collecting point: Plaza de España, Berzocana. Min 2, max 6 Persons.
Walk4c: can be seen as a continuation of Walk4b: From Retamosa to Cabañas del Castillo. Only land roads, no asphalt. This interesting walk starts in Retamosa and follows also the course of the Rio Berzocana, but the landscape is more dry and montainous, with a visit to a desolated mining village (mina de Aguijon). After that we pass some pastures with remains of the earliest settlements in this region. Nice views over the valley of the Rio Berzocana, with the ruins of a Roman bridge and of some water mills. In the last part of the walk we see come closer the impressive twin rocks of Cabañas. From Cabañas we arrange transport back to the starting point in Retamosa.
- Technical details: length 15 km, 7 hrs, easy. Collecting and starting point: bus stop in Retamosa. Min 2, max 6 Persons.
Some simple principles:
- Walks combine interests of nature, history and geology.
- Walks use inner roads and forests tracks avoiding asphalt roads as much as possible.
- We aim at walkers who enjoy nature at their own tempo.
- You bring your own food and drinks with you.
- Good footwear necessary.
- You come to the starting point by yourself.